By: Ashleigh K. Copeland
While there’s no exact science on how to land your dream job, there are skills you can use to get your foot in the door. I’m no career expert, but I have conducted many interviews & interviewed for almost as many jobs. So I thought I’d share the tidbits I’ve picked up along the way.
1. Early means on time: First impressions count for a lot. Being prompt for your interview shows your potential employer your taking this opportunity seriously.
2. A good handshake goes along way: As a woman I feel having a substantial handshake is a subtle yet effective way to assert yourself. Just be careful to not over do it. Be stern, but don’t try to crush their hand. A weak handshake also makes a weak impression and shows low confidence.
3. Make eye contact: Poor eye contact can mean many things, but most people associate lack of eye contact with lying. Stay focused on the person who is interviewing you, no matter what else is happening around you.
4. Try not to fidget or move around too much: when you sit down, find a position that is natural and most comfortable for you. When you personally feel comfortable automatically your persona seems more relaxed, and your interviewer will notice how confident you seem (even if you don’t feel it on the inside).
5. Confidence is key: Even if you do not feel confident, FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT! There’s a fine line between being cocky and being confident. That line runs even thinner between humility, and a lack of confidence in yourself.
6. Believe in what your saying & stay true to yourself: If you don’t believe in your capabilities or the skills you bring to the table, your employer won’t either.